The transition from brick and mortar to online instruction can seem daunting, but the teachers at ASU Prep Digital are here to help! Check out these short videos to learn the basics of how to transition your instruction online and create successful online learners.
1. Start Here: Online Learning Introduction
Basics of online education, including an introduction to this video series. Learn key words, phrases, and methodology that inform day to day practice for a successful learning experience.
- Part 1: Introduction, Keywords & Phrases, Purpose and Benefits (4:33)
- Part 2: Ensuring Quality, Teacher Roles, Communication, Instructional Strategies, and Data (4:50)
2. Learning Management Systems (LMS) 101
Blackboard, Moodle, Google Classroom, Canvas, etc. There are many Learning Management Systems, but what are the proven practices for setting up your LMS to maximize student outcomes? In this video, we’ll use Canvas to illustrate how to optimize the student and staff experience.
- Part 1: Setting up a Home Page and Syllabus (3:32)
- Part 2: Grading Best Practices (3:36)
- Part 3: Using Data to Drive Instruction (2:08)
- Part 4: Integrating Special Education Services (1:59)
3. Student Information Systems (SIS) 101
Infinite Campus, PowerSchool, Maestro, Schoology, etc. There are many Student Information Systems, but what are strategies to efficiently and effectively monitor learners? In these videos, we’ll use Maestro to illustrate ways to use a student information system to maximize academic achievement.
- Part 1: Basics of using a SIS (3:59)
- Part 2: Data Warehouse, Grade Management, and Reporting (2:42)
- Part 3: Using Data to Drive Instruction (3:30)
4. Effective Communication Practices
Phone Call, Texting, Emailing, Live Webinars, Face to Face…we break down these different types of communications and how to utilize each when in a virtual setting.
- Part 1: Building Rapport with Students and Families (3:20)
- Part 2: Communication Functions and Types (4:58)
- Part 3: Logging Communication (4:37)
5. Online Synchronous & Asynchronous Instruction
There are many live webinar platforms such as Adobe Connect, Blackboard Collaborate, and Zoom. In these videos, we will show the basics of how to engage students during lessons, polls, chat, breakouts, using Web 2.0 tools, and classroom management during virtual live lessons.
6. Parent Engagement Strategies
Parents are a crucial part of student success in online education. How do you engage parents to support student learning?
- Part 1: Parent Info Webinars (3:56)
- Part 2: Parent/Observer Access (10:25)
- Part 3: Partnering with Parents in Digital Education (4:44)
7. Academic Integrity: Best Practices, Best Results
Academic Integrity is integral to the success of any online program. In these videos, you will learn key definitions of what constitutes online academic dishonesty and provide student-centered approaches leading to a culture of Academic Integrity.
- Part 1: What is Academic Integrity? (7:07)
- Part 2: Creating Responsible Digital Citizens (5:05)
- Part 3: Discussion Based Assessments (3:48)
8. Administrative Functions and Operations
What are essential functions and roles of Administration when supervising remote employees? Learn how to effectively support staff through proven protocols while fostering a culture of continuous improvement and innovation.