Arizona Virtual Teacher Institute
ASU Prep Digital has created the Arizona Virtual Teacher Institute to help Arizona teachers thrive in the new reality where online instruction is a part of every school plan.
This training is provided at no cost to schools or teachers through the generous investment of the Arizona Department of Education, the Governor’s Office, Helios Education Foundation and Arizona State University.
Check the Training Calendar for dates and details.Get Updates on Training Events
Free Professional Development for Every Teacher
The training institute was designed to help Arizona teachers not just survive but thrive in adopting new digital, blended, hybrid, and tech-rich instructional practices. Topics include:
Online curriculum • Learning management system • Best practices in online instruction • Setting up a virtual instruction plan • Web 2.0 tools (web conferencing, plagiarism detection, etc.) • Live lessons • Pace charts • Setting up a home page • Supporting students with special needs • Creating supplemental resources and customizations • Academic integrity & discussion-based assessments • Preparing for “go live” with students • Best practices for effective communication • Monitoring student progress • Building social presence • Social and emotional learning in an online environment • Teaching time and stress management
Personalized for Schools
We are offering a flexible menu of options that allows teachers to participate in multiple training sessions each month. School leaders can specify requirements for their staff, let teachers choose, request a special session for their school, or offer a combination of free choice and required sessions.
In addition to live offerings, we will offer asynchronous content delivered monthly to your inbox that includes opportunities to earn PD hours, via assessments, at your own time and pace.
To discuss a customized training for your school, schedule a call with one of our school partnership representatives.
Leverage the flexibility of online learning for your staff.
The Connected Teacher Summit
Hosted by ASU, this free, one-day virtual event will be held January 9, 2021 to help K-12 teachers deliver better online and blended learning experiences. Learn from educators across the country who will share virtual learning techniques and offer insights on pedagogy, course design, wellness, accessibility, assessment, collaboration, engagement and more.
- 120+ sessions during six hours of programming spread over 15 content tracks.
- Live Q&As will allow attendees to ask direct questions and receive answers in real-time.
- ASU Learning Enterprise and the Mary Lou Fulton Teachers College will be providing “ASU K12 Remote Teaching Skills Certificate” for qualifying teachers who attend. Certificate is free of charge and based on completion of sessions and post-event verification.
Visit the REMOTE K12 website to register or learn more.
Thriving as a Hybrid, Digital or Flex Model Teacher
Back by popular demand! This bootcamp series is now offered as 6 sessions, 1 per day. Sessions will rotate every 2 weeks. Join as many as you can. Check the Training Calendar for dates and times.
- Overview: Best Practices in Hybrid, Digital and Flex Models
- Strategy Session: Flipped Classroom
- Strategy Session: Playlists & Hyperdocs
- Strategy Session: Station Rotations
- Strategy Session: Live & Synchronous Sessions
- Strategy Session: Collaboration Tools & Engagement
Ed Tech Tool “Power Hour”
Join us for an in-depth look at an educational technology tool and how it engages learners. We will provide an overview of how to use the tool, examples of implementation across grade levels, and give you an opportunity to try it out for yourself. Tech topics include Flipgrid, Kahoot, Quizzez, etc. Check the Training Calendar for dates and times.
Thriving as a Digital Teacher
This series is offered as 8 sessions, 1 per day. Sessions will rotate every 2 weeks. Join as many as you can. Check the Training Calendar for dates and times.
- Session 1 – ASU’s COVID Response & Free Teacher Resources
- Session 2 – Best Practices for Online Learning
- Session 3 – Web 2.0 tools & Engagement in Live Sessions
- Session 4 – Resources for Ensuring Quality Online Courses & Transitions (NSQ, Quality Matters)
- Session 5 – More on Course Design Best Practices
- Session 6 – Academic Integrity & Discussion Based Assessments
- Session 7 – Blended Learning + Hybrid Models Part 1
- Session 8 – Blended Learning + Hybrid Models Part 2
Hot Topic for Digital Learning Communities
Each week we will rotate through a “hot topic” for each of the grade levels and school leadership. Topics will be inspired by the most relevant areas of concern: connecting with parents, students with special needs, small groups, building online community, grading practices, morning meetings, parent involvement, time management, breakout rooms, hybrid models, etc. Check the Training Calendar for dates and times.
- Mondays – High School Focus
- Tuesdays – Specials and Electives Teachers Focus
- Wednesdays – Middle School Focus
- Thursdays – Elementary Focus
Dive in deeper with a 2-hour session that includes time to work on a product, artifact, or tool you can immediately apply in the classroom. Check the Training Calendar for dates and times. Example topics include:
- Social Presence & Bitomoji in the Classroom
- Live Lesson Makeover – Increasing Engagement for Video Conferencing
- Assessment in an Online Environment
- Project-based Learning
- Google Classroom
Join experts from ASU’s Mary Lou Fulton Teachers College and colleagues from across the state to explore what educator teams look like (or could look like!) in virtual and blended instructional environments. Check the Training Calendar for dates and times. Example topics include:
- Educator Teams in Virtual and Blended Environments
- New Educator Roles